Wednesday, February 17, 2010

february.

I have since moved back to Tennessee and have switched focus from whitetails to the beginnings of the growing season, turkeys, and the rod and reel. For turkeys, the goal is simple. I have never taken a bird and am committed to success this March and April. This is all dependent on the strength of my interest in a month, but that is the idea for now.

 A more concrete and immediate affair of interest is the beginning of the spring growing season. One of my goals is to increase my personal involvement with The Lady’s garden, of which I am already down a few points for missing the seed-buying trip. She knows more than me anyhow, so it will probably work out better that way.  The CSA begins in May also, but the signups are now and that at the very least stokes some anticipation. The snow-dustings and soft morning frosts still remind me that it is February, but afternoons feel like they are stretching and waking up for spring.

The fun part is the full freezer in conjunction with the garden. Sam and I went back to the cooler the week after the season closed and spent a good three hours slicing and gathering venison to be processed. The results are firmly packed away Tetris style in three freezers.  Taylor gets to eat all he can until I come get what I need. Hell of a deal for the both of us.

Bought some new fly gear. New rod and reel, we’ll see if I need money or gear in the coming months.  I’m leaning toward keeping it.  Logic says that I’ll get to make money for the rest of my life, and there is a finite amount of fly rods in the world. It would be a shame to let any of them slip out of my grasp. There is a little part in every fly-man that truly believes that whoever dies with the most rods wins.  I can’t help it.

February is usually the doldrums for the hunter/gatherer. Clay got a new bird dog, and hopefully he gets to hunt over him in the final two weeks of quail season in Alabama. Its a beautiful dog with a strong name. I think that most have a certain affinity for hunting dogs. Strange how the relationship changes a bit when utility is added to the equation, but I can't help but look forward to August and doves thinking about how I don't have to run after those damn birds any more. There is nothing more ridiculous that an grown man hurdling sage and stick with shotgun pointed straight in the air in search of downed fowl.  I'm a lanky six foot three and am quite worthless in this capacity, but I will retrieve to hand and I don't eat my own turds. Its all about perspective I suppose. 

In the meantime, I think I'll write some, learn to tie some new fly patterns, and enjoy tobacco that actually tastes like tobacco. Cheap beer, venison steaks, cold hands, and not being stressed about not being in the woods. It isn't all poetic, but I thought this picture was great, even though it is plain. I have some friends who are incredible photographers, and I would love to make some trips with them and hopefully show off some of their work.  Thinking about learning more about bird watching, would love to know where to start. That’s your queue, many thanks. 

Happy Hunting.

r. 

8 comments:

  1. As far as bird watching goes all I know is to buy a Peterson field guide and go outside. Some of the State parks in Tennessee have bird programs put on by the rangers seasonally. Here is the web address for the parks http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/
    they are a great resource. and by the way I hate to sound ignorant but what is the CSA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't mean to not explain it. CSA stands for community supported agriculture. You purchase a share of a farmer's crop at the beginning of the season and pick up produce from them once a week. Here is a good site explaining it and detailing where you can find one near where you live.

    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tip I found one withing 5 miles of my house. and if trout is what you want you should look in to the streams near Tellico plains TN in the Cherokee national forest. I wish I had more info for you but I am a crappie man myself. and as for the parks not only do we have the most visited national park in the country (smokey mtns) but dozens of State parks and Wildlife management areas scattered all over. We are blessed with public lands. if you are ever at my blog again hit some of the links I have under Tennessee Outdoors. Your pal the Envirocapitalist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.

    First good to see you posting again I really missed your writing and may i be the first to congratulate you on your choice of hat. Badass.

    SBW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been reading back through your recent posts. Wonderful stuff. You have a fine way with words and obviously know how to stock a freezer too. BTW, bird-watching has given me hours of pleasure. Knowing the critters that inhabit this rock with us is part of what sustains us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again a nice read. I really enjoy your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. That is the smallest deer I have ever seen! I heard they make 'em small back East, but wow. I bet it was plenty tender...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was and still is quite good. 95 pounds.

    ReplyDelete